How do we meet and interact with other people? What is the source of our knowledge? What are our frames of reference? What is the state of each field in our own particular sphere of activities?

Increased globalisation is placing new demands on universities and academic institutions, but is also creating openings for new and unique possibilities. This is of course also true of Marie Cederschiöld University.

Our vision of the work of internationalisation at Marie Cederschiöld University is that it shall promote understanding of the meaning of sustainable development in Sweden and in the world beyond and that every student shall be affected by this work during their study time here. The work shall also permeate the pedagogical approach of our teachers, based on our specific conditions, identity and profile.

Giving some thought to "internationalisation" in the academic context, central topics and themes that come to mind are exchange programmes, contact with foreign countries, collaboration agreements, the Bologna Process, scholarships, grading criteria, English-language course literature, visiting lecturers, cultural encounters on home ground and international networking, but also such purely joyful occasions as celebrations, social gatherings and meeting interesting people. Information about Sweden as a destination for academic studies.

For some persons internationalisation work is merely another administrative burden among many, but for others it is about the very survival of the university, a matter of priority, where the internationalisation work must permeate all teaching, research and organisation.

living and studying in Sweden

Here you can find some useful information about Sweden with links to the Swedish Institute and other governmental agencies working in the area of international academic cooperation, scholarships and grants.

InFORMATION FOR exchange students

Below you will find information for exchange students. Both regarding what courses Marie Cederschiöld University offers, how to nominate an exchange student, the application process, what to think of before your arrival, and practicalities for exchange students upon arrival.

Courses offered

Nordic students (Erasmus+ and Nordplus): Please see our course catalogue in Swedish

Social work

Other Erasmus+ students: We offer clinical courses in different subjects for nursing students. Please contact for more information.

Questions regarding the courses we offer? Contact the Study Administrators and the International Coordinators.

Jonna Cannelin, Study Administrator
Phone +46 76 636 51 61

Jenny Wiklund, Study Administrator
Phone +46 76 636 51 52

Lilian Pohlkamp, International Coordinator, Nursing
Phone +46 70 667 38 44

Johan Gärde, International Coordinator, Social work
Phone +46 76 636 50 03


How to nominate a student for student exchange at Marie Cederschiöld University?

The Coordinator at the sending university sends an e-mail with following information to

  • The student’s name and e-mail address
  • How long the student has studied nursing/social work/theology?
  • Preferred time for the student exchange
  • The clinical placements that are requested (only nursing students)

Deadlines for nomination: 1st March for the autumn semester, 1st September for the spring semester.


After nomination deadline the nominated student will receive an e-mail with the application form and information about the application process. The application and requested attachments must be sent to The deadline for the application for the autumn semester is 15th April and 15th October for the spring semester.

Before arrival


  1. Send the application form with all the requested attachments by the given deadline (15th April or 15th October) to
  2. Plan your arrival about a few days before you start with your placement because of MRSA-test and other practical issues (Nursing students from outside the Nordic countries)
  3. Send information about your arrival date and time to

Most of the exchange students are accommodated at Marie Cederschiöld University’s student apartments, address Erstagatan 1 C.

  • The cost is 6 100 SEK per month for a one-room apartment.
  • In some apartments, it is possible that two students will share an apartment. In that case the rent is 3 050 SEK per month, per student.
  • If accommodation is needed for less than a full month, the weekly rate is 1 525 SEK.

We will send you more information regarding access to your room key a couple of days before your arrival.

After your arrival, you will get the tenancy agreement. After signing the tenancy agreement one copy must be handed over to the reception at the university (receptionist Annika Martinelle).

It’s possible to rent bedlinen and towels for 200 SEK per set. Otherwise, you will have to bring your own bedlinen and towels.

Housing rules

Please see a separate document in the apartment.

Leaving the apartment

You need to clean your apartment before you leave and return the key.
Note that if you have not cleaned, you will have to pay for the cleaning.

Cleaning instructions:

  • No personal belongings and/or waste are to be left in the room.
  • Remove the carpet when you do the cleaning.
  • Clean the kitchenette, radiators, window frame, and doors.
  • Clean inside drawers as well.
  • Clean the toilet (outside and inside).


Return the key to the reception at the university (Annika Martinelle) upon departure. Office hours are between 8 am – 4 pm. If you have to leave the key outside of office hours, please contact receptionist Annika Martinelle:

Make sure that you are fully insured for your entire stay in Sweden.

  • Students staying more than one year, with a Swedish personal identity number, are entitled to use public medical services on the same basis as a Swedish citizens.
  • Students from EU/EEA countries staying less than one year, EU Health Insurance Card – are entitled to use public medical services on the same basis as a Swedish citizens.
  • Students from non-EU countries staying less than one year must have a private insurance.



Registration at the University

Book an appointment for registration by e-mailing

ID card (E-tjänstekort)

For nursing students carrying out clinical courses an ID card (E-tjänstekort) is mandatory. You should have your card and codes available throughout the internship period.

As an exchange student, your card will be issued without a photo.

The University will order an ID-card for you but you need to pick it up personally. Important! You have to bring your valid passport when collecting your card!

Health clearance

A Health Clearance is required of all students doing practical training in Stockholm. The University will send you instructions about this before your exchange studies.

Upon arrival in Stockholm, you will bring your health clearance to the Student Health Centre at Karolinska Institutet (KI) where you will also take a MRSA test.


Before you start your practical training, you must undergo testing for MRSA (not applicable for Nordic students). The result may take a week to come through.

The University will book an appointment in advance at the Student Health Center (Studenthälsan) at Karolinska Institutet, which is located at the Huddinge Campus, Flemingsberg, Blickagången 7, 5th floor about a few days before you start your practical training.

Library and student kitchen

At the university, which is just a few minutes’ walk from the student rooms, besides lecture halls and offices there is also a library with a magazine room and a wireless Internet connection. There is also a lounge with cooking facilities.

Opening hours

The campus building is open for access 7:30 am – 9:30 pm every day via access code or/and special tag. The library is open for access with access code and tag between 8 am – 8:30 pm on weekdays.

The library staff is avalable during the following hours:
Mondays, 10 am – 3 pm
Tuesdays, 12 pm – 5 pm
Wednesdays, 10 am – 3 pm
Thursdays, 10 am – 3 pm
Fridays, 10 am – 3 pm

Marie Cederschiöld University's student union

Marie Cederschiöld University has a student union. The student union is to protect students' interests and the appointment of representatives who sit in the university decision-making bodies such as the Board. The student union also organises activities for students. You can reach them by e-mail or on Instagram.

Other social activities for Erasmus+ students

Student Health Care

You can contact the Student Health Care for any study-related healthcare needs you may have: Student Wellbeing Centre | Karolinska Institutet (

Ersta Health Center

For any healthcare needs not related to your studies, contact the nearest public health center. In your case, this is Ersta Health Center (Ersta vårdcentral)

  • Address: Ersta hospital (street address Fjällgatan 44), 2nd floor, elevator B.
  • Phone: + 46 8-714 60 08.
  • Opening hours for advice by phone: weekdays between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Emergency Medical Care

For emergency medical care, contact your local accident & emergency hospital department, in Södermalm.

  • Address: Tideliusgatan 12, 118 69 Stockholm
  • Phone: +46-8-616 62 00
  • Emergency visits: Monday to Sunday, 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Life-threatening Emergency Care

In the event of a severe emergency, if someone is acutely ill or severely injured and needs immediate ambulance assistance, call 112.

Marie Cederschiöld University shall safeguard and respect the equal value and rights of all its employees and students irrespective of gender, ethnic affiliation, religion or other belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression and age. Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University College shall be an environment that prevents, prohibits and takes action against harassment and discrimination. Our efforts to ensure equal status and equality of treatment shall be integrated into our daily activities to ensure that all managers, employees and students work together to realise this vision.

After your studies


At the end of your studies, you will be offered an evaluation meeting with the international coordinator and international office.

Don't forget to clean your apartment and return your keys to the university. For more information and instructions about leaving your student housing and returning your keys, see the information under "Accomodation" above on this page.

Page information

Last updated:
13 May 2024